8 Common Problem Signs Reported In Rhode Island
- Vertical cracks in concrete basement walls
- Damp spots on basement walls
- Water droplets on pipes
- Floors are bowed
- Water where floor and wall meet
- Basement has a musty smell
- White powder on basement walls
- Brick cracks
Important Facts and Data To Understand
- Rainfall dumped in short timeframes can result in flash flooding that can last up to a week or more. Just six inches of moving water can sweep a person off his or her feet, and only a few inches of water can cause thousands of dollars of damage to homes and businesses.
- Do not drain water inside the basement until most of the water on the outside of the walls has gone down. This will prevent the walls from being pushed in or the floors from heaving.
- It is a myth that installing vapor barriers is the most important step for controlling moisture in walls. Vapor barriers only retard moisture due to diffusion, while most moisture enters walls either through fluid capillary action or as water vapor through air leaks.
- The first principle of moisture control is to keep liquid water out of the building. Sheltering occupants from water is a primary purpose of building assemblies including roofs, walls and foundations. Among the sources of water from outside a building are: rain and melting snow, ice or frost, groundwater and surface runoff, water brought into the building by plumbing, and wet materials enclosed in building assemblies during construction.
- If you already have a mold problem - act quickly. Mold damages what it grows on. The longer it grows, the more damage it can cause.
- Identify and eliminate the water problem. The most critical step is to identify and eliminate the source of the water that is creating a damp environment. You may need technical assistance from a plumber or contractor to determine what needs to be fixed or changed.
- Identify and eliminate the water problem. The most critical step is to identify and eliminate the source of the water that is creating a damp environment. You may need technical assistance from a plumber or contractor todetermine what needs to be fixed or changed.
- ^ "Hurricanes Can Bring Inland Flooding
- ^ "Moisture Control
- ^ "Mold and Dampness