8 Common Problem Signs Reported In Kansas
- Vertical cracks in basement walls
- Cracking between cement block
- Gaps in floors
- Floor gaps
- Doors hard to open
- Basement smells musty
- Water enters around windows
- White powdery substance on walls
Important Facts and Data To Understand
- The Midwest floods of 2011, lasting from May to September, caused more than two billion dollars in estimated flood damages. Kansas has 13,012 flood insurance policies, of which 7,414 are in high-risk areas.
- Damp buildings and furnishings promote the growth of bacteria, dust mites, cockroaches and mold, which can aggravate asthma and allergies and may cause the development of asthma, wheeze, cough and hypersensitivity pneumonitis in susceptible persons.
- A study by EPA and Berkeley Lab estimated that 4.6 million cases of asthma, 21 percent of the 21.8 million cases of asthma in the U.S. at that time, could be attributed to exposure to dampness and mold in homes.
- In the past 5 years, all 50 states have experienced floods or flash floods. This flooding can easily lead to a leaking or wet basement.
- Clean-up priorities will vary depending upon the kind and seriousness of damage to your home. But assuming major concerns such as structural safety, basement flooding, and electrical and water systems have been addressed, clean-up can begin inside.
- Clean-up priorities will vary depending upon the kind and seriousness of damage to your home. But assuming major concerns such as structural safety, basement flooding, and electrical and water systems have been addressed,clean-up can begin inside.
- Crawl spaces and basements are holes in the ground and have more extensive contact with soil than slab-on-grade foundations.
- ^ "Spring Flooding: Risks and Protection
",Ready.gov, p. 1
- ^ "Moisture Control Guidance for Building Design, Construction and Maintenance
",EPA.gov, December 2013, p. 2
- ^ "Home Clean-Up and Sanitation Safely Cleaning A Flood-Damaged Home