8 Common Problem Signs Reported In California
- Bowing walls
- Corners of basement show water marks
- Basement carpet is damp to the touch
- Carpet is damp
- Water comes in at floor/wall joint
- Water leaks in at floor/wall join
- Cracks in mortar between bricks
- Powdery substance on basement walls
Important Facts and Data To Understand
- Most of California is vulnerable to floods. Every county has been declared a flood disaster area multiple times. One in five Californians and more than $580 billion worth of structures (including their contents) are vulnerable.
- If you plan to remodel your basement, it is important to control moisture problems at the source before doing anything else. Corrective actions can be relatively easily but sometimes, depending on the severityof the problem, they can be difficult and expensive.
- Generator exhaust is toxic. Always put generators outside well away from doors, windows, and vents. Never use a generator inside homes, garages, crawlspaces, sheds, or similar areas. Carbon monoxide (CO) is deadly, can build up quickly, and linger for hours. More information.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes act quickly to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity.
- If you have a sump pump, test it to make sure itís working; you might want to invest in a battery backup.
- It is a myth that installing vapor barriers is the most important step for controlling moisture in walls. Vapor barriers only retard moisture due to diffusion, while most moisture enters walls either through fluid capillary action or as water vapor through air leaks.
- Areas with high level humidity and moist materials provide an ideal environment for the growth of microorganisms, which could result in continued or additional health hazards such as allergic reactions.
- ^ "Floods in California
- ^ "Flooding
- ^ "Moisture Control