8 Common Problem Signs Reported In Arkansas
- Cracking along mortar joints in walls
- Walls in basement show dampness
- Nail pops
- Floor cracks
- Drywall is rotting
- Moldy smell in basement
- White powdery substance on walls
- Leaking windows
Important Facts and Data To Understand
- Many moisture problems can be avoided by properly designing the foundation. Moisture problems associated with improperly designed foundations can be difficult and expensive to identify and fix, can create the potential for health problems resulting from mold growth, and can be a liability for building owners.
- De-clutter your basement: Move important documents upstairs and replace cardboard boxes with plastic containers. Raise items up on concrete blocks.
- If you your new or existing home has a crawlspace, you can also Install a 6-mil polyethylene vapor diffusion barrier across the crawlspace floor to prevent soil moisture from migrating into the crawlspace. Overlap all seams by 12 inches and tape them, and seal the polyethylene 6 inches up the crawlspace walls. As an option, pour two inches (51 mm) of concrete over the vapor barrier to protect the polyethylene from damage.
- If the leak has caused substantial water damage or mold you will want to hire a contractor who specializes in mold remediation and water damage repairs.
- Dampness and mold are not the same, but they go hand in hand. Dampness may show up in visible moisture, like leaks or as high humidity. Dampness in homes or buildings creates the environment for mold spores to grow. Dampness can cause harm even when mold is not present. Excessive moisture also promotes the growth of common indoor pollutants like dust mites, cockroaches, bacteria and viruses , which can impact health
- Standing water is a breeding ground for bacteria, viruses, and mold. These can become airborne and be inhaled, putting people at risk for lung disease.
- ^ "
- ^ "Maintenance can prevent basement flooding
- ^ "Mold and Dampness